Monday, March 26, 2012

Pattern Release! Appreciation Cowl

It's new pattern time !!!  The Appreciation Cowl is now for sale, after testing from some friendly Ravelers.  Buy it HERE!

This versatile pattern looks great with a variety of yarns.  I love the way the Manos Wool Classica in Wildflower looks paired with MadTosh's Tosh DK in Tern.  It really shows off the multi-colored Manos (I used almost the entire skein, with only a couple yards left).  Sometimes I have a hard time finding patterns that really show off hand-painted or variegated yarns.
This simple stripe pattern shows off the colors while the accent stripes keep everything cohesive.  It's an easy pattern with a few maybe-new-to-you techniques.  I use foundation single crochet to start, and there is a tutorial here on this blog.  Otherwise, you just need to know single and half-double crochet, chains and slip stitches, and how to crochet into the back loop only.


I made the first Appreciation Cowl (left) for a friend who very generously helped out my family during my bedrest.  This cowl used 10 yard lengths for the pink and khaki stripes.  The accent stripes were made with one row of gold an one row of cream.  The result was a pseudo-fair-isle pattern.






One of my testers used recycled Sari yarn.  She noted that it is really difficult to find patterns that work with this yarn, and she loved the results.  If you choose to use a single color of yarn, the cowl has plenty of differentiation in texture and will be perfect for a male recipient.

I can't wait to see how you choose to mix up your yarns with this pattern!  Be sure to post pictures on Ravelery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment