|detail of Valentino fabric|
I love my main motif. I made this with Blue Heron Yarns 100 percent Egyptian cotton. I love LOVE this "yarn". It's a 2-ply lace weight that is comparable to an eight or maybe a three-weight cotton thread. It's shiny and soft and the color transitions are gorgeous. It was liberating to crochet this. I used the leaf shapes from the Valentino fabric as inspiration here. This was free-form and FUN-- quite a change from deciphering all the antique IC patterns I had been working on.
I liked the four-spoked cross pattern in the inspiration fabric, so I used a shamrock type filling stitch to mimic that. I first made the outer edge, which is the Egyptian cotton over PC (single crochet with picots). I pinned it out to the size I wanted around the motif.
I started the shamrock filling at the bottom, went up the right side, then started again over to the left (and ripped out and re-made what you see here). I then filled in the last rows on the top. I learned that this silk pulls apart easily and does not rip out easily. I haven't practiced filling stitches very often and I really need to continue to work on them!
|challenge piece detail|
|finished challenge piece|
The final piece is about 6 x 10 inches. New techniques for me were: free-form crochet, shamrock filling stitch, and working into a corded edging.
I learned that half-double crochet doesn't look very good in IC motifs. It makes a raised bar that I love in other projects, but the texture doesn't add much where I used it this time.
TIP: I used my laptop portable desk by Belkin as my work surface while doing the filling stitches. It is slanted a bit, and made of a fabric covered foam on a rigid backing. I could pin right into it and the slant facilitated working the stitches!